Shabby Miss Jenn

Friday, September 12, 2008

It's Coming

Whether I like it or not, my birthday is coming. It arrives on Sunday, September 14. I've decided to celebrate it by throwing a party. I really don't know if I'll actually be celebrating the birthday or just using the party as a distraction.

It took me a while to decide what kind of party to have. I've always wanted an 80's party, but I felt like a 70's party would be more appropriate since I was born in '78. I'll do the 80's party another time. I am going to have me an 80's party someday gosh darn it!

I wasn't overly thrilled with the idea of a 70's party until I started doing some internet research to find out about the fashion, decor, and food that were popular. I'm all into it now. There were so many different clothing styles back then. I found several outfits, mainly dresses, on ebay and on etsy that would suit me. The problem was picking the perfect one. I finally came across a dress on ebay that is disco-era in style but the print has more of a hippie vibe. I found great 70's glasses on etsy from flowerbedhead.com. I'm wearing them in this picture. I have worn them out a couple of times since I received them. I know they probably look ridiculous, but they are so much fun. I forgot how much I enjoy playing dress-up.

When I went home to visit my parents a couple of weekends ago, I found some great 70's clothes that belonged to my grandmother. I'm considering making wardrobe changes during the party so I can show off all of the great looks.

So essentially I'm having some fun planning this party. Cleaning the house has not been fun, but I have gotten my craft supplies more organized than they have ever been. I still have some cleaning to do before tomorrow, and I still have to make some food decisions. I will probably go with pizza since everyone loves pizza and all I have to do is order it online. I was going to prepare some dishes that were popular during the 70's, but that is just too much trouble. And, it didn't sound all that appetizing. Jello was big, so I'm going to make homemade Jello shots. I found a box of 70's candy at Cracker Barrel that I'm going to stuff in a pinata.

I found several 70's items at an antique mall to use for decoration. I have rented a karaoke machine and a mirror ball. We will eat, drink, sing, dance, and by all means watch the Bama game. Roll Tide! I just hope to goodness they win so Lee won't be in a bad mood. I know it's just a game, but try convincing him.

Well, if my 30th birthday is not really the end of the world, I'll be posting some pictures from the party.

Until then.

No comments: